Tuesday, July 01, 2014

Paul Talks

Since this article is about a talk I gave at The Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of the Poconos in Stroudsburg, PA about The Forwardian Arts Society, I hope you’ll forgive me if I write most of this from a first person perspective which may or not be completely an objective one. Whether you can forgive me or not, here is my account of the talk I gave before the fellowship on Sunday June 29th during their weekly service. So there. Smiles. It was titled, “Moving Forwardian” and, as I’ve mentioned earlier in the paragraph, it was about The Forwardian Arts Society which began in its present state in October 2001.

Not only was I scheduled to give the talk, I also selected the hymns and readings that would occur during the service as well as keeping the congregation abreast of what the order of service was as it happened. In other words, I not only gave the “Sermon” but I was running the service as well. It was an interesting situation I found myself in but, it was one of the options placed before me (others included that I just give my little talk and that would be it) but I accepted the one I wound up doing. As you’ll soon read, it proved to be a complication that I might have been better off not embracing.

I graduated with a Bachelor’s of Arts (BA) degree in Speech Communications Studies from The East Stroudsburg University of PA in 1988. A great deal of my studies involved writing and making speeches. So, in my misguided thinking, I didn’t feel it was necessary to spend a great deal of planning on what I would say especially since about The Forwardian Arts Society is a subject that I should know intimately. Did I mention my thinking was misguided?

Well, when the morning arrived, I took my place at the front of the sanctuary and, as the service began, an unexpected nervousness came to the fore and I began to mess up the order of service with great immensity. A great deal of the familiar items in service were transpositioned and even skipped over. However, many among the congregation knew what should happen when and they set me on the right course. I appreciate their patience.

What also helped me to regain my composure was the musical meditation titled, “Remembering the Light” performed by the choir director, Ruth Kochera, which was composed by Kevin Kern. I found myself much more relaxed as the melody led me to what it’s titled suggested; to remember the light. The remainder of the service went more smoothly and occurred in pretty much the same orderly fashion as it usually does.

And then, it was time for me to speak about The Forwardian Arts Society. I began to share my history and how it led to my desire to publish a newspaper righting all the wrongs that society had placed upon me and how that all changed to where the fellowship for people who love the arts is today. Thank goodness we don’t get everything we want. I was approached afterwards by those who shared with me that they enjoyed and appreciated my talk and what I shared during it. I am thankful to the members who provided me with not only the opportunity to speak about The Forwardian Arts Society but to remember the light that guided my words.

The Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of the Poconos (UUFP) is presently located on Ann St. in Stroudsburg, PA consisting of a congregation who (according to their Facebook Page) “strives to create a place where people feel inspired to see, hear, and think in ways that deepen their understanding of each other.” UUFP began serving the area in 1990 and holds services every Sunday morning beginning at 10am. The fellowship’s minister is the Reverent Kim D. Wilson. You can learn more about The Unitarian Universalist Fellowship of the Poconos and all it has to offer by exploring their Website at www.uupoconos.org, their Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/UnitarianUniversalistFellowshipOfThePoconos, or by calling them at 570-420-0580.

The Forwardian Arts Society is a fellowship for people who love the arts. If you want to know more about it, feel free to check out our website at www.theforwardianartssociety.com, our Facebook Page at www.facebook.com/pages/The-Forwardian-Arts-Society/91146283760, or email us at Forwardian@hotmail.com. There are no photographs as there were none taken during the service. Please feel free to share your thoughts on the arts and/or how your love for the arts effects your life. I look forward to learning about and from you. Thank you for reading this article.

No comments: