Saturday, June 13, 2009

The Nature of Art

The Antoine Dutot Museum and Gallery* in Delaware Water Gap, PA held an Opening Reception on Friday June 12th for an exhibition featuring the work of Oils and Watercolors Artist Beverly Abel. The work depicted many of the splendors nature has to offer which coincided with the natural flow of conversations among the art lovers who were reminded of their affections with every painting they experienced. The variety of styles from Ms. Abel was quite impressive as they ranged from some simple watercolor renderings resembling images one finds in coloring books to nearly photographic pieces created with oils.

Among the numerous pieces of high quality, I personally was most attracted to the one entitled, “The Swimming Hole.” It reminded me of those days in my childhood when my mother took my sister and I to Lake Lenepe (near the Appalachian Trail) in Delaware Water Gap, PA to go fishing for Sun Fish. I seldom caught anything, but when I did, it was only my younger sister who was brave enough to take the fish off it’s hook. Since my mother didn’t know how to cook the fish, we threw them back. In the chats I engaged with during the Opening, I found the work inspiring many such recollection among the attendees.

Among those who attended the Seasonal Opening at The Dutot* were Artist Tricia Lowrey Lippert* and Mike Wetmore* of Support Your Local Poet - Hooray (SYLP-H)* along with Marty and Sue Wilson* of The Antoine Dutot Museum and Gallery*. I met a great number of new friends during the Opening and I look forward to seeing them again in the near future. If you were there and would like to make yourself know, please feel free to leave a comment sharing your reflections and recollections of the evening.

The next Opening Reception at The Antoine Dutot Museum and Gallery will be on Friday June 12th beginning at 7pm featuring the work of Miharu Lane* in an exhibition entitled, “Painting on the Trail of the Hudson River School III.” That Exhibition Continues until July 19th while the current one featuring the works of Beverly Abel continues until June 28th. Please Explore The Antoine Dutot Museum and Gallery* Website for more information.

You’ll find more photographs in The Forwardian Arts Society Visual Arts 2009 Gallery at www.myspace.com/forwardian_arts.

(*) denotes members of The Forwardian Arts Society in good standing and are considered Our Good Friends.

No comments: