Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Film Review: Angels and Demons

Angels and Demons
Directed by: Ron Howard
Performances by: Tom Hanks and Ewan McGregor
Film Review by: Paul Adam Smeltz

As many readers of this review may know, “Angels and Demons” is the sequel of “The Da Vinci Code” which are both adaptations from novels written by Dan Brown. I must admit I haven’t read these novels but my friends have told me they are very well written and they’re of the caliber of which it’s easy to take them at their word. Yet, the film version of these novels may well prove the old adage the book is better.

When I saw “The Da Vinci Code” some time ago, I didn’t like it. My dislike wasn’t caught up in the controversy as to the implications it made in regards to Jesus’ private life. I could care less if Jesus was married, had kids, or still owes for child support. What disappointed me was the quality of the film considering the caliber of the Director (Ron Howard) and the actor (Tom Hanks) involved in its production. I expected a better treatment of “The Da Vinci Code” or any other novel placed in their hands and I was glad someone else paid for my ticket.

It was with some trepidation in which I ventured into the theatre showing “Angels and Demons.” I was perplexed to why Ron Howard and Tom Hanks wanted to visit the same well which proved to me to be a dry hole. However, some friends have told me they’ve seen the film and found it much better than the prequel. Well, they were right; sort of.

“Angels and Demons” did do a better job at creating an atmosphere of suspense than it’s predecessor, but the porosity of it’s premise left this reviewer flat. It’s all based upon the so called age old conflict between science and religion. The film would have you believe the Modern Roman Catholic’s Church survival is dependent upon its ability to squash scientific enquiry. Oh really.

It seems this latest conflict derives from the discovery of a “God Particle” which is a substantial amount of Anti Matter sufficient enough to destroy (conveniently enough for the film) the Vatican. A plot just to do that is supposedly devised by a scientific underground group who is seeking revenge on the Roman Catholic Church for some executions of some of its members 400 years ago. There’s a twist toward the end of the film which I would not wish to reveal as it may ruin it for many potential viewer, but it strikes the reviewer as odd it would take a group of scientist over 400 year to get even.

The film almost managed to convince this reviewer to why the characters in the film cared the issue they were confronting, but it didn’t convince me why I should care. Do any Roman Catholic Clergy with an IQ above 3 care about the discoveries of the scientific community to think they’re a threat to all Christianity? Do they think they’re a threat to even the Roman Catholic Church?

In short, the film just didn’t work for me. I’ve been told “Angels and Demons” is much like “The Da Vinci Code” which means it’s a puzzle solving film. They may be right in this as I’ve seen many such elements in the film. Maybe this genre is simply not my kind of film. After all, those I’ve chatted with after seeing the film enjoyed it. It just goes to show any reviewer’s opinion is only their opinion and should not be taken too seriously.

“Angels and Demons” is rated PG-13 and is based upon the novel written by Dan Brown (which was written prior to “The Da Vinci Code”). It is currently running at The Pocono Community Theatre in East Stroudsburg, PA. You may visit their website at www.poconocommunitytheater.org or call 570-421-3456 for show times and dates. Most films run one week from Friday to Thursday but some films may be held over for an additional week or two depending on ticket sales.

“Angels and Demons” was featured in The Forwardian Arts Society Film and Chat Gathering which is held the first Friday of every month at The Pocono Community Theater. This is an event which provides an opportunity for film lovers to see a film shown during the 4pm hour together and discuss it afterwards in the Theater’s CafĂ©. Those participating in this month’s chat were Arline M. Smeltz* along with Bernie and Candice Nilsson*. The next Film and Chat Gathering will take place Friday July 3rd featuring a film to be announced. Please Contact The Forwardian Arts Society through it’s Website for more information.

(*) denotes members of The Forwardian Arts Society in good standing and are considered Our Good Friends.

No comments: