Saturday, May 17, 2008

Theatrical Review: Company

COMPANY
Book by: George Furth
Music and Lyrics by: Steven Sondheim
Directed by: Garry Grice
Theatrical Review by: Paul Adam Smeltz

The Sherman Theatre* in Stroudsburg, PA presented The Pocono Lively Arts* production of “Company” by George Furth and Steven Sondheim. The play is what has become known as a “Concept Musical“ which differentiates from those centered around the interaction of the characters and relying on a certain plot where the musical numbers are utilized to further the story line and the characters‘ development. “Concept Musicals” focuses on the themes or ideas the authors and composers wish to convey to the audience and relies on these elements to establish some cohesion to the story. The presentation of “Company” relies a great deal on the ideas associated with “Married Life” and all its implications.

“Company” was written in the early 70’s and, unfortunately, it shows. The ideas presented does not translate well to a modern audience as the New York City sophistication the play presumes to exploit quickly becomes trite and mundane. The comedic elements of the work becomes established early in the production and they seldom becomes more funnier than an angry drunk.

In the Theatrical world, it is common among actors to recognized where the best of their abilities lies. Some may be Best at playing comedic roles while others are more suited for dramatic ones. Some actors are comfortable portraying one level of emotional depth while others can play another level. It is considered a great accomplishment if an actor can go outside his or her range to expand the boundaries of their craft and successfully bring a new understanding of their role to the audience along with a deeper understanding of themselves. However, this joy can be met with a certain degree of disappointment if the actor is not ready to venture forth into this new realm. This is also true of production companies like The Pocono Lively Arts*.

While I can admire The Pocono Lively Arts* for presenting a play exploring more adult topics like drug use, extramarital affairs, divorce, and even homosexuality, it seems there is only a superficial understanding of the topics presented by a theatrical company who has presented family oriented productions too long to suddenly change it’s perceptions of reality. It’s a similar experience many young parents encounter when they discover difficulties of engaging in adult conversation after interacting with their 2 and 3 year olds over a very long period of time. However, just as the parental remedy is to get out more and interact with more adults, I’m very hopeful The Pocono Lively Arts* will add more plays to their repertoire exploring more substantive themes and decrease those who only guarantee a pleasant play family and friends of cast members can enjoy.

In spite of The Pocono Lively Arts’* venturing prematurely outside their range, the talents of the actors shown above the dullness of the material they presented. The cast included Matthew Cavanaugh as Robert, Dana Bartolomeo as Sarah, Jon Baptiste (who also served as Choreographer) as Harry, Jason Zimmer* (who also served in the Lighting Crew) as Peter, Dawn Valentine as Jenny, Colin Lalley as David, Sara Ferguson* as Amy, Andrew Khouri as Paul, Shellie Bransford as Joanne, Ryan Groff* (who also served in the Lighting Crew) as Larry, Heather Dean as Marta, Andi McClanahan* (who also served as Property Mistress) as Kathy and Stephanie Reyes (who also served as a Costumer) as April. Musicians for the production were Tim Eick and Robert Bottger on Trumpets, Bill Keller on Trombone, Marta Oberlin, Larry Gordon, and Dot Cacckhio on Reeds, Anne Ortoski on Violin, Betsy Buzzelli-Clark (who also served as Rehearsal Accompanist) on Viola, Matt Smith and Elizabeth Donovan on Cello, Tom Dipietro on Bass, Adam Benefield on Drums, Wendy Grice (who also served as Rehearsal Accompanist) on Piano, and June Thomas on Keybord.

“Company” by George Furth and Steven Sondheim was Directed by Garry Grice while Mary Ellen Van Camp served (along with being a part of the set construction crew) as Stage Manager. The Musical Director was Dr. Otis French. The Set Designer was Michael Eyth who also served in the Set Construction crew along with Kim Van Camp who also was part of the Back Stage Crew. The Sound Designer was Glenn Kern while Brenda Roeber served as The Production Manager who also was part of the Back Stage Crew. Matthew Pierson and Eric Dwyer* were among the Lighting Crew while Kathie Avery and Kathy Taylor (who also provided publicity for the production) were among the Costumers. Rehearsal Accompanist included Chris Henry while The Graphic Designer for “Company” was Amy Boccadoro. The House manager was Terilee Snuffer, The Back Stage Crew included Phillip Benefield, and the Program was done by Richard Staneski. The Production was ushered by Volunteers of The Pocono Lively Arts* and The Sherman Theatre*.

This production of “Company” by George Furth and Steven Sondheim will continue its run at The Sherman Theatre* in Stroudsburg, PA until May 18th which means it will most likely be completed before you read this review. While offering a recommendation on viewing the play may be redundant, it is worth repeating this reviewer‘s hope The Pocono Lively Arts* will continue seeking more plays which goes beyond it‘s normal comfort level of pleasurable family entertainment and begin to solidify a newer reputation of presenting works that truly challenges their audience‘s perceptions of life. The next Pocono Lively Arts* production will be “Cabaret” to be performed June 27th - 29th at The Sherman Theatre in Stroudsburg, PA. Please contact The Sherman Theatre* at 570-420-2808 or visit their website for more information and to reserve your ticket. More information on The Pocono Lively Arts* can be gained by visiting their website at www.poconolivelyarts.org. Numerous Picture can be found on The Forwardian Arts Society Company at The Sherman Gallery at myspace.com/forwardian_arts.

(*) denotes members of The Forwardian Arts Society in good standing and are considered Our Good Friends.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Paul,

While I thank you for saying that we (the actors in the show) rose above the material, I don't know how I feel about your review. I'm not being defensive or anything like that. I would just like to know what you really think. You talk about how the show is dated and didn't translate well for a modern viewing audience (Which I actually agree with you about), but you don't actually say whether you thought that the show was good or not.

I agree. I think that Pocono Lively Arts might have overstepped themselves for this season. Choosing shows that are a bit more edge-y than it is known for doing. But I do think that PLA had to start somewhere. I think that PLA needs to start to ween itself off of only camp-y and family musicals at some point. I'm just happy to see more than camp-y musicals on their season roster now. I think it's a good start.

I guess what I'm really getting at is this; did you think the show was worth the cost of admission? Theatre either makes the world better, or it makes the world worse. I'd love to know which, exactly, Company did.

Unknown said...

Hi Andrew,

I hope my words find you well. I’m sorry it took so long for me to respond to your comments, but I do want to thank you for sharing them with me. They’re much appreciated. If I’m reading them correctly, I think we’re in more of an agreement then not. The truth about my individual feelings about the play is a bit mixed. While I didn’t enjoy watching the play because I felt it was dull, unfunny, and a bit too far removed from the realities of the situations it portrayed, I was happy about The PLA taking steps toward presenting a more serious work which entreats their audience to grow away from the shows they usually produce. In other words, I didn’t like the play but I did like the fact PLA is showing signs of stretching out. I’m very hopeful, if they choose to, their continued explorations into thought provoking material will increase their ability to introduce its audience to ideas and concepts that’ll enrich their theatrical experiences beyond the pleasure of seeing their friends and family members on stage. As to whether “Company” was worth the price of admission, I feel I’m in no position to really say as I see the shows they put on at The Sherman theatre for free since I volunteer as an usher. I hope I’ve addressed the points you made in your comments. Please let me know if I was lacking in any area. Again, I thank you for your comments I look forward to hearing from you again in the futures. I’ll keep a good thought for you until then.

Paul

Unknown said...

Paul--
Hello. I am in agreement with Andrew. I feel all of your "reviews" actually are not reviews, just briefer forms of the article in the Pocono Record. Take a stance Paul...if you did not like it say I DIDNT LIKE IT! If you loved something say you LOVED it. I felt you were side stepping some things in your "review". In a way you were passing criticism on our acting capabilities....thats ok...BUT...point out firm examples of what you liked and didnt that is what a review is all about!
Heather

Unknown said...

Hi Heather,

I hope my words find you well. Thank you for writing and sharing your thoughts. I’ve often been accused of being too subtle for my own good and I guess that came out in my review of “Company.” I suppose that’s why my dislike of the production didn’t come across as I’ve hoped. However, I didn’t just want to convey my feeling I didn’t like the play to whomever read my review. I wanted to utilize the review to encourage PLA to continue adopting works which expands their audience further than their usual people pleasing presentations. As far as my thoughts on the acting abilities of the performers, I really couldn’t render a definitive opinion. I’ve seen some of the actors work in other plays and their performances were much better while others I’ve haven’t seen before. Therefore, I’ve concluded the performances were effected by the quality of the production and it would be unfair to include their abilities in the review. In fact, it seemed to me many were cast based on their singing abilities and not their acting. Anyways, thanks again for writing and I’ll do my best to be more clear about what I think about the quality of the productions I write about in the future. I look forward to hearing from you soon and I’ll keep a good thought for you until then.

Paul

Unknown said...

Paul,

Thanks for your response....and perhaps I was too harsh in my tone of the last message. I realize all you do is volunteered time, and it is truly great your love of the arts. From an actors perspective...it was a very different show for me, at least....the characters could have all been played very differently....that is one of the most wonderful things about doing a play is interpretation...however, there was a TON of funny stuff with in that play....I thought different parts were funny each night I saw it....Sorry you did not enjoy it....I think we all had fun putting it on!
Heather

Unknown said...

Hi Heather,

I hope my words find you well. You’re quite welcomed as it’s always good to be able to communicate with someone who shares a love for the arts. I’m also glad you shared your reflections on the show. I love learning about the endeavors of others and how they feel about what they’re doing. I hope you’ll continue to share your talents through your work and let me know how you’re doing. I look forward to hearing from you soon and I’ll keep a good thought for you until then.

Paul